Ten reasons why SketchUp Pro is ideal for students of architecture:
1. SketchUp has an easy-to-use UI and is packed with intuitive tools that make it the easiest way for students to design and model their buildings in 3D. Like it says on the tin, SketchUp is the most intuitive way to design, document, and communicate your ideas in 3D.
2. With SketchUp, students can work on and design efficient buildings with energy, daylight, thermal comfort and HVAC data using Sefaira which is included in their student subscription.
3. LayOut is one of SketchUp’s superpowers! Take your 3D models into 2D space and present multiple views, annotated plans and present everything you need for your coursework, project presentations and more.
4. SketchUp has a rich and abundant ecosystem of plugins and extensions available from the Extension Warehouse such as real time rendering plugins, scattering tools, or plugins that allow architects to analyse the effect of light and shadow from a potential new development. Some are paid for, many are free! SketchUp UK have compiled a list of popular FREE extensions: https://elmtec-sketchup.co.uk/the-best-free-sketchup-pro-extensions/
5. SketchUp for students is low-cost and a good value proposition for those on very tight budgets. Plus with SketchUp for iPad also included along with unlimited Cloud Storage, students can model and present their projects on the go with a tap of the finger (or the Apple Pencil!).
6. Students can access the world’s largest 3D model library; millions of models at your fingertips in the 3D Warehouse including real world tangible products from hundreds of manufacturer catalogues.
7. Students can tap into a rich vein of user support and knowledge through SketchUp’s community forums, articles on the SketchUp Blog, the brilliant SketchUp Campus, as well as thousands of hours of video tutorials and skill builders on the official YouTube Channel, all for free!
8. Once students graduate and no longer qualify for student discounted software, they can access SketchUp Pro with a discounted Commercial Graduate subscription, handy if they are setting up to work freelance or go into business for themselves.
9. We have also found a number of comprehensive online resources outside of SketchUp including the impressive https://theorangeryblog.com/, a resource-rich site packed with helpful guides, tutorials and downloads specifically aimed at supporting architects through university, careers and startups.
10. And finally, know you’re working with (and now fluent in) the #1 architecture software program in the world, based on G2’s Grid® Report for Architecture, Summer 2022. Read the report here.
SketchUp Studio 2022 Student [Annual] Subscription, includes SketchUp Pro, LayOut, StyleBuilder, Sefaira, unlimited cloud storage with Trimble Connect, SketchUp for Web, SketchUp for iPad. You must be a current student studying and resident in the UK, at an accredited educational institution studying a relevant course and are aged 18 years or older to purchase.
Purchase your SketchUp Student Subscription here.
Recently graduated (six months or less)? Purchase a discounted Commercial Graduate licence here.